Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Ezekiel Bread and Random Thoughts

I made a new culinary discovery recently, thanks to watching The Biggest Loser on Channel 4. A lot of contestants keep mentioning Ezekiel bread, and I kept asking myself, "What the heck is that?"

Well, I went on a mission to find it - and discovered it at Ralph's supermarket. All I can say is: OH MY GOD.This stuff is FANTASTIC! I have to have it for breakfast, toasted, every single day. And it's good for me! Made by a company called "Food for Life" and based on the biblical reference to make bread out of sprouts and whole grains, this stuff is like a low-carb secret weapon that's also high in protein. Here is their website: http://www.foodforlife.com/

I highly recommend the sesame flavor... and I see they make tortillas now, so I'll be all over that the next time I go food shopping. Seriously. Life changing bread. SO GOOD!

We now return you to the regularly scheduled blog on dinner... and food in general.

Last night, I got home late due to a variety of reasons and I realized that I forgot to defrost the chicken breasts that I was planning to use for my chicken and baby spinach salad dinner. Don't we all do that sometimes? So at 6:30, with a very hungry and complaining child in tow, I had to make a snap decision on what to make, on whatever was floating around in the fridge and pantry at the time.

I had some leftover fish (The Child and I still eat it, even if The Spouse won't touch it) and decided to try my hand at fish tacos. I reheated the fish that I had, threw some taco shells into the oven and chopped up fresh veggies. The problem? It was too bland. We put taco sauce on it, but it needed something more - not sure what.

I need to do some research on some recipes to make this tastier, since I actually got The Spouse to try them due to the fact that they were meat on a taco shell. I have to figure out the proper allocation of spices for these things, and I also have to watch our sodium intake, so it's time to get tweaking!

Posting about fish reminds me of the other recipe I tried while Husband was working nights. Cooking Light has a fabulous recipe for seafood cakes - I could not make it while he was home because even the smell of cooking fish gets him all upset and makes him nauseous. My mom was the same way - why am I always doomed to live with people who have this reaction to fish? I LOVE fish.

Anyway, these were wonderful and the mustard crema was tasty as well, although I only used a slight bit of it on the cakes. They were fine without it, too. The Child even scarfed hers down and wanted to know when I'd be making more.

Seafood Cakes with Mustard Crema

1/3 cup light sour cream
6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
7 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
8 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp, chopped
8 ounces lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup panko

1. Combine sour cream, 2 tablespoons parsley, mustard, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, stirring with a whisk until blended, set aside.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add onion and celery; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
3. Combine shrimp and crab in a large bowl. Stir in onion mixture; remaining pepper, remaining 1/4 cup parsley, cheese, salt, egg whites, and egg. Stir gently. Add panko; stir gently. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions; flatten to 1/2" thick patties.
4. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully turn over; cook 3 minutes or until done. Serve with sauce.

OK... time for me to get back to work. Here's hoping your culinary adventures are tasty ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment